WHAT: Important Planning & Zoning Meeting
WHEN: Tuesday Feb 23, 2016 @ 6:00PM
WHERE: City of McKinney Council Chambers (see map below)
222 N Tennessee St
McKinney, TX 75070
WHY: To show support for zoning ordinance change for proposed stadium site
Yes, this is TUESDAY FEB 23, 2016.
We have learned that McKinney ISD has requested a zoning ordinance change at the site they have chosen to build a new stadium facility if the bond election in May gains voter approval. This is an important step in the process toward accommodating future growth opportunities for many of our extracurricular programs.
We have also learned that there is some opposition to this zoning ordinance change, and it is important that we show our support for the change.
If the zoning change request fails to pass the Planning & Zoning Commission's approval tomorrow evening, it makes the chances for using the proposed site much more difficult to pass when the City Council takes up the issue of the zoning change request.
The Planning and Zoning Commission meeting to discuss and act on this change request will be held tomorrow night at 6pm at the McKinney City Council chambers. We would like to encourage you to attend this meeting as a show of support for our district's efforts to improve our facilities.
The District's primary factors for choosing the site at SH 121 and Hardin Blvd are
- Traffic accessibility
- Parking challenges for concurrent events (example: North, SJMS, and Stadium in a single location)
- Benefits of East/West Home parking vs. North/South
- Overall size limitations (traffic flow, separate parent drop-off/pickup areas, bus parking, band equipment truck/trailer access to stadium)
- Positioned at the Gateway to our city
The costs related to the $62 million total for stadium include all the infrastructure development as well as the cost of the stadium itself. The actual cost of the stadium is $41 million. The rest is apportioned to:
- water, sewer, storm drainage
- onsite development costs
- testing, surveys, permits
- furniture, equipment, supplies, design
- stadium construction
- field house/locker rooms
- and a multipurpose community room within the field house
More information about the bond is forthcoming, so please visit back here often to see updates.